NIH Fact Sheets - Breast Cancer - nih breast cancer

Category

nih breast cancer - Breast Cancer Risk Assessment Tool


Jun 30, 2018 · Mastectomy was the only accepted surgical option for breast cancer treatment. Only one randomized trial of mammography for breast cancer screening had been completed. Several other trials and the joint National Institutes of Health (NIH) and American Cancer Society (ACS) Breast Cancer Detection Demonstration Projects were just beginning. Breast cancer is the second most common cancer in women after skin cancer. Mammograms can detect breast cancer early, possibly before it has spread. Explore the links on this page to learn more about breast cancer prevention, screening, treatment, statistics, research, clinical trials, and more.

Oct 08, 2015 · New NIH breast cancer research to focus on prevention. These new directions reflect recommendations made by the Interagency Breast Cancer and Environmental Research Coordinating Committee (IBCERCC) in 2013. IBCERCC was congressionally mandated to review the state of the science around breast cancer and environmental influences by the Breast. Breast Cancer and Bone Loss (Hormone Health Network) Breast Cancer and Women with Disabilities (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) Breast Cancer in Young Women (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) Cancer Treatment for Women: Possible Sexual Side Effects (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish.

Breast cancer is a disease in which certain cells in the breast become abnormal and multiply uncontrollably to form a tumor. Although breast cancer is much more common in women, this form of cancer can also develop in men. In both women and men, the most common form of breast cancer begins in cells lining the milk ducts (ductal cancer). In women, cancer can also develop in the glands . August 13, 1998—The Stamp Out Breast Cancer Act establishes a special alternative rate of postage up to 25% higher than a regular first-class stamp. 70% of the profits from the sale of the stamp, also referred to as a semipostal, would go to the NIH to fund breast cancer research; the remaining 30% would go to the U.S. Department of Defense.